Wednesday, June 29, 2011

New Best Friends

Yesterday 301.8 lbs; today 300.8 lbs Total calories consumed yesterday: 1762


I am NOT a doctor, a nutritionist or physical trainer.  I am a fat person who has decided to show his stomach to the world (figuratively, not literally--be thankful for that).  Consult with medical experts before doing anything.


So, I have two new best friends.  It's very important that I have them in my life.  The first one is nutritional labels.  I'm fat for a lot of reasons.  One reason is that I never cared about nutritional labels.  Well, okay, I need to make changes.  Important changes.  And one of those changes is that I will know how many calories are in whatever it is I put in my mouth.  One very easy and useful way of doing that is--you guessed it--nutritional labels. Knowing how many calories is in a hard boiled egg (70, by the way) is important because I need to know how many calories I have to burn before my body begins to consume the large amounts of fat I have accumulated.  


We've heard it all, right?  I know I have.  Want to lose weight?  Consume less calories that you burn.  Sounds simple, doesn't it?  Well, you have to want to take that damn first step:  reading the damn label.  That's the first step of many--but a very important one.


Okay, best friend #2?  A kitchen scale.  Hey, one serving of skinless chicken breast has 109 calories, and according to the label (or sparkpeople.com) one serving is four ounces.  Okay--how much is four ounces?  I have to be honest, it doesn't sound like a whole hell of a lot.  And, that's where the scale comes in.  Know what you eat.  That's the story here.


Tomorrow, I'll talk about how I enjoy eating food, and because of that, I don't want to thaw something out of a box for my solid meal.


In the mean time: “Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths.” Etty Hillesum


I hope it's a full filling day.


--John

No comments:

Post a Comment